This fact sheet has been developed in partnership with child and adolescent psychiatrist Prof Helen Milroy to help increase awareness and understanding of intergenerational trauma. It has been designed to be used in conjunction with the Healing Foundation’s Intergenerational Trauma animation.
Working effectively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people and their families requires a comprehensive approach. This includes:
- developing a cultural framework for understanding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and communities
- understanding the historical legacy of colonisation
- having a multidimensional approach to health and wellbeing
- having regard to child development
- understanding the contemporary risk and protective factors, and social determinants as they apply to Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander children.